Contact | Advertising | Copyright & Disclaimer
Site map | About

McDonnell Douglas MD520N helicopter

- Advertisement -
Choose unit system:

Specifications Comment this helicopter
Picture MD520N
General
Manufacturer McDonnell Douglas
Type MD520N
Introduced 1/1/1991
In production? Yes
Units produced 0
Price US $ 1,900,000.00
Dimensions
Overall Length 32.1 ft
Length 25.5 ft
Height 9.8 ft
Width 4.6 ft
   
   
Description The MD520N is a lightweight, five-seater turbine powered helicopter based on the MD500 design. It uses a five-bladed, fully articulated rotorhead. Unusual is the use of NOTAR (NO TAil Rotor) as the anti-torque system, which claims a higher degree of safety due to the absence of a tail rotor.

The NOTAR system makes use of the rotor downwash, which is deflected over the tail boom by two Coanda slots that are fed with low pressure air generated by an engine-driven fan at the root of the tail. In this way, the rotor downwash is deflected, generating a lateral force (much similar to a wing), which counteracts engine torque by 60%. The other 40% is created by venting air through variable aperture louvres at the end of the tail boom. This mechanism is also used for yaw control.

Another advantage of the NOTAR system is that it produces less sound than a conventional tail rotor, making it one of the quietest helicopters around.
Advertisement
Design features
  • NOTAR (NO TAil Rotor) system based on fan blowing air through Coanda slots in the tailboom
  • Jaw control by a controllable thruster at the end of the tailboom
  • Graphite composites tailboom
Description
The MD520N is a lightweight, five-seater turbine powered helicopter based on the MD500 design. It uses a five-bladed, fully articulated rotorhead. Unusual is the use of NOTAR (NO TAil Rotor) as the anti-torque system, which claims a higher degree of safety due to the absence of a tail rotor.

The NOTAR system makes use of the rotor downwash, which is deflected over the tail boom by two Coanda slots that are fed with low pressure air generated by an engine-driven fan at the root of the tail. In this way, the rotor downwash is deflected, generating a lateral force (much similar to a wing), which counteracts engine torque by 60%. The other 40% is created by venting air through variable aperture louvres at the end of the tail boom. This mechanism is also used for yaw control.

Another advantage of the NOTAR system is that it produces less sound than a conventional tail rotor, making it one of the quietest helicopters around.
- Advertisement -
Design features:
  • NOTAR (NO TAil Rotor) system based on fan blowing air through Coanda slots in the tailboom
  • Jaw control by a controllable thruster at the end of the tailboom
  • Graphite composites tailboom
Performance
Persons 5
Max. Range 0 mi
Cruise Speed 142 mph
Max. Speed 175 mph
Max. rate of Climb 1775 ft/min
HOGE ceiling 6000 ft
Service Ceiling 20000 ft
Gross Weight 3350 lb
Empty Weigt 1585 lb
Useful Load 1764 lb
Dynamic system
Fuel Capacity 64 gallons
Number of Engines 1
Engine Type Turbine
Engine Code Allison 250-C20RS
Horse Power 450
Rotorhead Fully articulated
Number of rotorblades 5
Rotor Diameter 27.4 ft
Number of tail rotorblades 0
Tailrotor Diameter 0 ft
Blueprints & model
Manufacturer Website manufacturer..
- Advertisements -



Do you want to comment the McDonnell Douglas MD520N helicopter?

Log In |
|
|
|
or
|
|
|
|
|
(Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)

Name

Email

Enter the above code here:
Can't read? Try different words.


HeliStart is authored by Peter Goossens.


Best Sellers

1: (Book) Cyclic and Collective
2: (Book) Principles of Helicopter Flight
3: Microsoft FSX Steam Edition
4: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
5: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

[ Log In ]